UNFPD evacuated students and employees from Osprey Cafe at about 10 p.m. the night of March 31.
Sgt. Shawn Faulkner, UNFPD, said there was a gas leak. Employees were escorted to the parking lot while police put up caution tape. Police sent the remaining students away, telling them not to go near the door.
Jacksonville Fire and Rescue units arrived in Lot 10 at 10:20 p.m.
Associate Director of Dining Services, Bryan Schachter, said he was not at liberty to talk right then.
Sharif McQueen, Chartwells employee, said they were closing down when the police talked to Bryan and asked everyone to get out.
McQueen said he thought it was closing time and the last students were leaving the cafe, but then police asked him to leave, too.
It is not yet clear if this will affect the Cafe’s operations the next day.