City looks to residents to volunteer for coastal cleanup | Community
Title (Max 100 Characters)
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The City of Jacksonville's Keep Jacksonville Beautiful wants residents to participate in this year's Florida Coastal Cleanup event on September 15.
The event is marks the 27th year of the Ocean Conservancy's Annual International Coastal Cleanup. Since its incarnation more than 8.5 million volunteers have removed 145 million pounds of trash from more than 300,000 miles of coastline, according to a release form the city of Jacksonville.
There are various locations across Jacksonville where volunteers area participating in the clean up.
Coastal Cleanup Site Locations and Times
7 -9 a.m.
Oceanfront at these locations:
- Beach Boulevard
- Atlantic Boulevard
- 16th Avenue South
8 -10 a.m.
- Naval Station Mayport, Jetties Pavilion #3 (Exception: Volunteers must have base access or arrange for base access)
9 -11 a.m.
- Seawalk Pavilion, Jacksonville Beach, Seawalk Pavilion (Go to the end of Beach Blvd, turn left on 1st Street. The pavilion will be on the right.)
- Tillie K. Fowler Regional Park, 7000 Roosevelt Blvd. -32244
- Northbank Riverwalk, 221 Riverside Ave. -32202 (Park on Jackson Street behind YMCA)
- Yacht Basin Park, 2941 St. Johns Avenue -32205
- Helen Cooper Floyd Park, 3600 S.R. A1A-32233 (Little Jetties)
- Hogan's Creek, 314 Palmetto Street -32202 (Park behind the Jacksonville Historical Society, location not recommended for children.)
- Blue Cypress Park, 4012 University Blvd. N. -32277
- Ft. Caroline National Memorial, 12713 Fort Caroline Road -32225
- Riverview Community/Senior Center/Park, 9620 Water Street -32208
- Huguenot Memorial Park, 10980 Heckscher Drive -32226
- Joe Carlucci Boat Ramp, 8414 Heritage River Road -32226 (Boat Ramp 1 mile off of Heckscher Drive)
- Intracoastal Waterway Boat Ramp- 2510 2nd Avenue North -32250 (This site is not recommended for children)
- County Dock Boat Ramp, County Dock Rd. and Scott Mill Rd. on the St. Johns River (Next to Walter Jones Memorial Park)-32223
- Hollybrook Park (North Riverside) 213 Leland Street -32204
- Powers Park (Murray Hill) 3153 Green Street -32205
- Brooklyn Park (Brooklyn neighborhood) 1201 Jackson Street -32204
Participants must be at least 18 years old or accompanied by an adult. For their safety, volunteers should also:
- Wear sturdy footwear, gloves, insect repellent and sun protection
- Wear safety vests or bright colors when working roadside
- Be alert for slippery wet surfaces or wildlife
- Do not go into the water (river, creeks, the ocean, tributaries or ponds)
- Bring drinking water and avoid overexertion; drink plenty of liquids
- Do not remove or handle hazardous substances
- Call 911 for emergencies