'Armed and dangerous' suspect wanted in Jax Beach shooting


ID=25120143

JACKSONVILLE BEACH, Fla. -- Jacksonville Beach police say a days old argument between two men led to one of the men shooting the other at the Seawalk Pavilion last Sunday.

Investigators are still searching for Malik Robinson, 18, the man they believe pulled the trigger on the crowded boardwalk in Jacksonville Beach.

"He shot someone in a crowded area. He had a weapon at the time. He should be considered armed and dangerous," said Commander Mark Evans with Jacksonville Beach Police.

Community Sponsors

Get in the best shape of your life for 2012
Are you interested in promoting your business to local customers?

Jacksonville Beach man goes missing


JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The search is on for a Jacksonville Beach man who's been missing for weeks, authorities say.

Antonio Porter was last seen on the afternoon of March 6 and last heard from by family March 11, according to the Jacksonville Beach Police Department.

If you've seen Porter, please call police: (904) 270-1667.


Police: Teen shot in leg in Jacksonville Beach


JACKSONVILLE BEACH, Fla. -- Police in Jacksonville Beach need your help finding out who shot a 16-year-old on the boardwalk over the weekend.

Officers heard gunfire near Latham Plaza, located in the 100 block of 1st Street North, about 7 p.m. Sunday, according to the Jacksonville Beach Police Department. Nearby they found a teen who had been shot in the right thigh.

He was taken to UF Health Jacksonville with injuries that are not deemed life-threatening. Now investigators are searching for a suspect.

They're asking that anyone who may have witnessed the shooting or may have information related to the case to please call the police department: (904) 247-6344.

A previous version of the story said police said the shooting happened on Saturday. In fact, the shooting happened on Sunday and the story has been updated to reflect that.


Police: Missing Jacksonville Beach woman found safe


UPDATE: Janice Bogen was located about 2 p.m. Thursday, authorities said.

JACKSONVILLE BEACH, Fla. -- Police in Jacksonville Beach are searching for a missing woman who was last seen by family two weeks ago, authorities said Tuesday.

Family members haven't seen or spoken with Janice Marie Bogen, 51, in about two weeks. The last time her mother reportedly heard from Bogen was a text message sent before noon Feb. 6, according to the Jacksonville Beach Police Department.

Bogen's family reported her missing on Tuesday. They're reportedly concerned about her safety because they believe Bogen doesn't have medication for her medical conditions.


Community Sponsors

Are you interested in promoting your business to local customers?
Get in the best shape of your life for 2012

Jax Beach targeting plan to fix parking problem


JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- By the time April rolls around, hundreds of thousands of vacationers will flock south to catch some Florida rays.

As great as that is for beach towns like Jacksonville Beach, there is one consistent problem that never seems to go away: Parking. That's why Jacksonville Beach Mayor Charlie Latham is making parking a top priority in the new "Downtown Action Plan".

"We're the victim of our own success," says Lathtam. "When you make a nice environment like we have here, you get a lot of people who want to move in and a lot of people who want to visit."

When the vacation season hits, it becomes a balancing act for the city.

"Three nights a week for six or seven months a year we need extra parking, other than that they'd sit empty."

Ethics commission finds probable cause Atlantic Beach commissioner misused position


The Florida Ethics Commission found probable cause that Atlantic Beach City Commissioner Jonathan Daugherty attempted to use his position as a public official to try to get preferential treatment during traffic stops when pulled over by Atlantic Beach police.

The commission also determined there was no probable cause to believe Daugherty misused his position to avoid the consequences of failing to register his vehicles and switching license plates between his vehicles.

New entrance proposed for Hanna Park


ATLANTIC BEACH, Fla. -- The buzz of this coastal community is whether or not another entrance is needed for easier access to Hanna Park.

What's being considered is placing a gate at the end of Seminole Road where it dead ends. Currently, a tall fence separates the park from the road.

The idea has surfaced before, but has never been acted on.

Opponents fear the traffic from both vehicles and bikes could create problems for the area leading up to the fenced area that borders the park.

"They are being distracted by the gate," said Mike Grossberg, who on Monday was handing out flyers detailing the history of the proposal to provide another entrance to Hanna Park.

"It is a public health, safety and welfare issue," said Grossberg who lives along Seminole Road and is not supportive of the plan that is up for debate.